Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

In Progress Custom Breyers

While I have been doing the finicky details on Wagner, I started customizing some Breyers again. I haven't painted a model in such a long time! My old few are painted in Pan Pastels and while I love the look and medium, I wanted to branch out and try acrylics and straight up oils. I recently completed Silver in a palomino tobiano. I tried the acrylics and the finish was coming out streaky and kinda lumpy, so I went over the paint with pastels and it softened out the streaks nicely. Since these are all for my own learning experience and stay in my collection, I don't mind if they aren't perfect :)


Next I started on Breyer's Cleveland Bay in oils and its going pretty well! I quite like working in oils. He is still in progress. 


 I have also started work on the new Mawari and Totilas. Like so many other artists, I have had problems with paint and primer adhering to them. I striped down the original paint, and still the primer was coming off on my hand and the oils weren't drying properly. Oy so frustrating! So these two will be done in pastels. And so far the pastels are working perfectly. Totilas will be dark golden bay, possibly with some minimal tobiano markings and the Marwari, well I'm not so sure yet, but I think I am leaning towards a perlino. No pictures of the Marwari yet, he is still a sticky, shiny mess. I did however resculpt his tail and repositioned his head and neck. I'll add some pictures of him when he isn't such a hot mess.




No comments:

Post a Comment